What is our role to be to our precious husbands? When we come to the altar on our wedding day, we’re still out for ourselves. We really don’t know or understand what love is all about yet, and we don’t realize all the adjustments that we will have to make in order to become one with our husbands. We don’t see the rough edges that need to be knocked off both ourselves and our husbands, in order for two spoons to fit together. The Bible says, “the two shall become one flesh.” It takes time for this to happen; to become hand in hand and heart in heart. It takes time to re-adjust ourselves and our mindsets to think of their happiness and not our own. To see the honor of ministering to our husbands.
I found that in the Scriptures it says that the woman: is OF the man (1 Cor 11:8)
- that she is created FOR the man (1 Cor 11:9)
- that she is the GLORY of the man (1 Cor 11:7)
- that the head of the woman is the MAN (1 Cor: 11:3)
- that she is to submit to HIM as unto the LORD (Eph 5:22)
- that we are subject to HIM in everything (Eph 5:24) unless it goes against Scripture
- that we are to reverence him (respect as I would God (Eph 5:33)
- that we are to rend him due benevolence (1 Cor:7:3)
- that we have not power over our own body but the man does (1 Cor 7:4)
Wow! This is some difference from what the world preaches today! Look at Christ and His Church. The Church is called the Bride of Christ. This is the example of the perfect marriage. A wife then:
- gives up her own name
- merges her life with his
- recognizes him as her head
- devotes her whole life to his happiness
- to carry out his will in her love for him
- their reputations and interests become one
- what affects him affects her
- what affects her character affects his reputation
The husband (as example of Christ) loves her like Christ loves the Church
- cherishes her
- honors his wife
- gives of his time, his labor and his talents to promote the interest of the bride
- he is jealous for her good name
- he feels deeply when her feelings or reputation are injured
- he cares for, protects and provides for her.
We give up our rights to an independent life:
- gladly investing our time
- our talents
- our energies
- into him and his work
Submission: (1 Peter 3:1-6) says, “Wives submit yourselves unto your own husbands” (we are not a slave but it is an attitude of heart and mind).
Submit: means fit in with his plans
- thinking sometimes, “I could do it another way but I won’t”
- obey him
- Like Sarah when she was given away by Abraham to the king in order to save his own skin. She had to trust God and still do what Abraham said. Men can make mistakes and they do, but we must TRUST GOD. He will help us in the situation and He will also help us to maintain our respect for our husbands when they do make mistakes (or even sin).
Fitting in with his plans doesn’t leave a lot of time left
- we must daily remember that we are doing all these things as unto the Lord, so that we can have a clear conscious before God and man. It is not easy, but when we look at it like that, it is easier.
Then There Is Order in the Home:
a. The wives are submitted to their own husbands, and the children are submitted to their parents and the husband is submitted to Christ as his head. This is the Godly order that God created for the family and has told us to model in His Word.
We are created to be a priceless helpmate to our husband. Yes this is what we are to them! A Priceless Helpmate! Woman: came from his side, and not from his head to be equal with in decisions, or to be trampled upon under his feet. But from his side! To be near him, close to his heart, dear to him, under his arm of protection.
We were created differently and have different make-ups! We cannot do rough/hard labor. We are the weaker vessel (per Scripture). We are more emotional; they are usually more level headed and “think” before they act. We oftentimes act on impulse and then call it “intuition” ha ha, when it turns out right! But really it was just luck. We women tend to experience, feel, enjoy so we can pass on inspiration to our husbands. Perhaps we can “see the whole picture” more than a man but we are not as easily able to dissect and analyze its worth as well as our husbands.
This gift is both an advantage and a disadvantage. When protected under his leadership from deception, we are free to challenge and inspire him in ways he could never see without us. I remember that we were at Universal Studios one day, and we walked up to where they were having a contest. I said, “honey why don’t you try” and of course he said, “oh no”! But I encouraged him to go ahead and try, after all what could he loose? So he did and he won! He won us 2 dinners as his prize.
But if we are left unguarded by his “spiritual umbrella over us” and we assume the false responsibility of implementing and approving our own discoveries, then we are left open to satanic or other forms of deception, like Eve. (1 Tim 2:11-14; Gen 3:1-6), and oh what a cost!
We need to be submitted to them. We NEED their headship over us in order to be what we have been created to be. Oh that women would see the PRIVILEGE of having his covering. If we could only see that submission is really FREEDOM for us to truly become all that we were meant to be. That submission brings peace and happiness to us women, because it is really God’s way of protecting and care for us through our husband. We ourselves, our children and particularly our husbands would find such joy in a home where these scriptural principles are indeed carried out.
Now let’s remember the wonderful blessings that a woman could possibly reap if she does these things. First of all, she makes God pleased and proud of her as she obeys the Scriptures and learn to die to self, putting her husband first in her list of priorities under God who is first, becoming a model to her children and those around her as they see her living out these godly principles and are a light for others to see, and a true blessing for her husband, who if unsaved or who is not acting out the principles of the Word that he should be walking in, makes him want what she has and he becomes changed with God’s help and her loving behavior. Complaining, nagging, putting him down, showing him your disappointment in him in all he does and decides, either with facial gestures, sounds, body language or words all crush his moral and he tends to just give up trying to please his wife. But when she is so sweet and kind and thoughtful of his needs, then he seems to come to life again and starts wanting to be for her what she needs and desires, and the plan of God is back on again. So these are just a few rewards to look forward to if we do what what we are suppose to do. These actions also can put love back into a marriage that has grown cold and needs to be restored to what it was meant to be.
Oh thank you Lord our Father for your plans are so much higher than our plans, and your ways are so much better and past finding out, but they are certainly all for our own good and help us to make us into the likeness of your Dear Son, as Your adopted children.